Sunday, November 16, 2008

Some Impressions Like This... and Some Expression Like That....


I was in Udaipur this weekend, and Boy oh Boy! that place is filled with forts at places which defy convention( and my imagination)!. The city is like this comfortable nest nestled comfortably between mountains.... And at the center are two huge lakes! I couldn't help but wonder who the place must have looked to its initial settlers : STUNNING!


The Sajjangarh Fort

Ever time I squinted my eye to look at the top of a mountain I saw a faint structure!!!So I have come to a conclusion that every mountain tip has a crown of its own... a fort, temple, a guard post which look more air dropped to me then build by humans!

So just decided to go on one of these forts called Sajjangarh! so called for an auto ( which I swear must have been at least a 100 years old and was propelled by the sound!!!) went to a fort perched right on top of the hill like an ancient eagle... There was something alive about the fort it did not feel like a building, it seemed a part of the mountain range, a part of the spirit of the land!

We went to the fort at a noon so the crowd was almost negligible, on the 3 storey where we saw a stunning window cum veranda so excited we raced for a panoramic view of the entire range it was breath taking to tell the least ! But just as we were stepping in we ran into a group of giggling girls who shyly ran out of the place ( I knew we had interupted , i thought it was ome cllege gossip) it took me a minute to realize they were actually inscribing a love note on the huge walls . My smile vanished as I saw the ghastly messages on the wall ( not one many one too many!! And one look at the walls ( which though beautiful were not the hallmark of maintainance ) was enough to move me to tears! ( it took saintly meditation t stop my selh from pushiing those girls 500 meters down the cliff bordering the fort)


If you look away from the view and scrutinize the walls u'll see it for your self !

The walls were literal collage of messages - no they had neither the creativity, content or style, they were just ghastly cuts and scratches engraved on the wall left behind but a pathetic demented mind in a hope of immortality!

It still fails me why someone would leave a ' I love u more then u tell me why" message on a wall for public display ( Even if I spared this guy for disfiguring wall I would have strangled him with my bare hands for the copy!!!)

That's when I though back why would someone be consumed by desire of this public display of emotion ? where in the grab any sharp object (like cave men) they can lay their hands on: stones, twigs, hairpins, screws( yep considering the holder is nuts :P ) what not to make one last ditch attempt to leave behind a mark! the messages I have seen are generally xyz loves abc ! The more remote the place , the more agreviated this instinct I concluded else a stinking stair filled with names simply dosn't make sense!

Ok then pondering on the question of why ??? ( and for me it was WHY???) would someone leave such a cheesy message ? Its been drummed into most of our heads since childhood not to write on walls !!! (Ya even I as a child had taken fancy for wall writing and display of intellect at the age of 3 ! but it was my wall at my home for the private viewing and horror of my parents and but mind you even then I had a much more sensible scribblings and definately more variety the dumbwit I loves you . This is for all those wall writers who think they are the torch bearers for the ajanta ellora clan!!!!) I concluded that most of the times it is done for the clandestine pleasure of blase human emotions ! A sense of making your love immortal ( people rewrite ! even add on to previous messages making funny love triangles ) . A lot more times its just the urge to be heard by the masses, at times its just a faceless voiceless human making a last ditch effort to express something!

I saw that happiness, a sense of achievement in the girls who ran out of that verandah...Its not just one fort ar the tale of one city its a tell tale act of avndalism affecting every nook and corner of the coutry which is worth its salt in fame.... Its like the habbit of spitting pan plain disgusting and considering most people are able to write ( however patheticaly) hail our education!






Add to Technorati Favorites