Thursday, February 12, 2009

Holy Cow!


A friend of mine forwarded this link with such enthusiastic amusement, that I caught myself by surprise when i agreed with the content of the article in parts though the entire concept still sounds ridiculous to me. 

Ok well the article in short is about The RSS next big plan after rampaging the peace in most civilised societies to launch gau mutra or the urine of cow as the next competition for the Colas of the world!!!!

Article excerpts:

The bovine brew is in the final stages of development by the Cow Protection Department of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), India's biggest and oldest Hindu nationalist group, according to the man who makes it.

Om Prakash, the head of the department, said the drink – called "gau jal", or "cow water" – in Sanskrit was undergoing laboratory tests and would be launched "very soon, maybe by the end of this year".

"Don't worry, it won't smell like urine and will be tasty too," he toldThe Times from his headquarters in Hardwar, one of four holy cities on the River Ganges. "Its USP will be that it's going to be very healthy. It won't be like carbonated drinks and would be devoid of any toxins."

The drink is the latest attempt by the RSS – which was founded in 1925 and now claims eight million members – to cleanse India of foreign influence and promote its ideology of Hindutva, or Hindu-ness..... read on in the link below 



Well now if you are thinking I am either out of my mind or I am a right winger ( not there is much difference between the two :P ) I am bound to deny both.... 

Ok, let me explain its been known for ages that cow dung acts as a anti bacterial shield... think back to your grand parents house in the village, the ground before the house was always quoted with cow dung and mud slush. 

Well, I'm not sure about the entire country but I'm pretty sure that down south every time there is a havan or any sacred ritual a tiny quantity of cow dung and urine is mixed in the prasadam which is distributed. Well the first time I realised I had the force the prasadam down for the fear of offending the Gods... but well when i actually researched about it.. the vedas and ayurvedas actually recommend it and infact I have seen a booklet of medicines based on gau mutra. 

And probably the best uology to the cow dung was written by  a very famous poet in kannada... well I cannot lay my hands on a copy of the original text ( I am ashamed for not remembering it on the tip of my tougue) 
but it has the lines which roughly translate to say 

When I'm burnt I am the Vibuthi....
When I 'm dried I am fuel....
When I 'm felt alone I am manure....

Well cow dung in any form is soo useful, well isn't it holier then we humans ? who just use up the resources on this earth....

Ok, just summing it up... well I still love my Cola's better and I would make no attempt to purify my soul, caste or religion! But yes,  I would give the veda and ayurveda their due and respect the healing powers of cow dung. ...


No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites